The First Baptist Church of Santo, Texas
is the oldest continually active Baptist Church in Palo Pinto County, Texas.
This congregation was chartered on November 3, 1872, under an oak tree near the
Santo east cemetery. The Church was originally known as the Missionary
Baptist Church of Christ at Cottonwood Grove on Palo Pinto Creek. The
Church began with eight charter members. The present congregational name
was adopted by the 1930's. For well over a century, The First Baptist
Church of Santo has been active in community service, mission endeavors,
associational work, and the licensing and ordination of ministers. The
Church was selected as a historical site by the State of Texas Historical
Commission in 1982.
Construction of the new sanctuary was started January 13, 1997, and dedicated on June 22, 1997. The old sanctuary is still in use today for some services and Sunday School. In 1997, a 125th Anniversary Celebration was held. Below is a downloadable 125th Anniversary Commemorative Leaflet, and a few pictures of the old sanctuary.
Click here to download the 125th Anniversary Commemorative Leaflet
HOME | PICTURE GALLERY